On 19 July , my son went to see a
neighbourhood clinic to consult a doctor for his running nose, sore
throat, cough and fever. He was given 2 days mc with medication and
doctor has asked to monitor his condition. If it gets worst, they
might want to start him with Tamiflu.
The next morning on 20 July at 11am, he was coughing very badly and
was still running a temperature and I decided to bring him down to
KK Hospital. After consultation,the doctor said that it is just a normal flu virus and was only
given paracetomol and promethezine. On the afternoon, my boy came
down with vomiting. Each time when he took his food, he threw out.
At the same night around 1 am(already 21 July), I decided to bring
him back to KK. We took a cab there. To my surprise, we were not
given any mask upon arrival, no temperature scanning was done too.
During daytime, temperature was taken and mask was given but why
not in the night time?
My boy has the symptoms of H1N1, but why is
he not given a SWAP test? If he really has H1N1, wouldn’t it be
spread to other patients at the waiting area of A & E when he
was not given any mask? We have waited for nearly 3 hours before we
consult a doctor but to my disappointment, no test was given and
was asked to go back after prescribing me additional cough syrup.
The doctor say that 50% it might be H1N1 but there won’t be any
test given anymore as now they treat it as normal flu. It will be
the same treatment.
In this case, how would I know if my son is
one of the H1N1 case? On 23 July, my mum came down with the same
symptoms but with additional diarrhoea and breathing difficulties,
she decided to go to CGH. Upon arrival, she was given a mask and
temperature taken. She told the nurse about my son’s case and was
immediately send to the isolation side and was admitted to
isolation ward which they will test her for H1N1.
I think CGH has made the right move by
taking precaution to test temperature and given mask. I was
satisfied that they had my mum tested for H1N1. Until today at
11:55pm, I am still not sure if my son is H1N1 positive. I brought
him down to neighbourhood clinic as he is still having very bad
cough and the doctor there dare not prescribe him with medication
but was asked to send him back to KK.He also has a doubt on why KK
did not do the SWAP test I was in doubt this time whether should i
send him there as KK has already said that they will not test for
H1N1 unless it is very serious in his condition. Must I wait until
my son’s condition to get worst? To slip into coma before they
decide to test for H1N1?
Pls don't lock this topic. Thank