SINGAPORE - Former president S R Nathan is warded in the Singapore
General Hospital after he suffered a stroke last Tuesday.
"He is recovering and is now undergoing therapy," said Mr Nathan's
family in a statement on Wednesday.
A source close to the 90-year-old told The Straits Times on
Wednesday: "He's doing well. But just like before, his ability to
walk is not so strong. The therapists are trying to make him
stronger."
Mr Nathan, who previously was frequently seen taking walks along
East Coast Park, said in an interview with The Straits Times in
January that he had not been able to do so for more than six
months.
He had said at the time: "I cannot walk any distance. My health is
not good. I became breathless and tired. But my mind is okay."
Mr Nathan has served Singapore as social worker, trade union
activist, diplomat, and elected President.
He was Singapore's longest-serving President, serving two six-year
terms as head of state from 1999 to 2011.
In 2013, he became only the seventh person in Singapore's history
to be conferred the top National Day honour - the Order of Temasek
(First Class).
President Tony Tan Keng Yam, who visited Mr Nathan in hospital
earlier this week, commented on Mr Nathan's condition in a Facebook
post on Wednesday.
ST